What is EFT?
Emotional Freedom Technique is powerful tool for building emotional health.
It uses tapping on the ‘Meridians’ of the face and upper body long used in Chinese medicine and now confirmed by modern Western research, coupled with ‘scripts’ of things to say/think while following a systematic programme of tapping.
The EFT resistance-to-change script included here is a powerful tapping script that helps tackle resistance to change no matter what form your resistance takes.
You do not need to follow scripts word for word. As a rule-of thumb; it would be more powerful if you used some of the insights you have made from your own layers of resistance, so feel free to adapt or even re-write the script that follows.
Get in touch with your resistance to change
Clearing your resistance to change is core to your work. Holding onto unwanted habits is often about unacknowledged fear of change. You might feel incredulous when you read that sentence given you consciously know how much you want to change something that has been bothering for some time.
However, some resistance can be very deeply buried, perhaps even below your level of conscious awareness.
So, what is behind your resistance to change? Here are some examples of resistance to change, or of fear of change, from past clients.
- ‘My friends won’t like me if I’m successful’
- ‘I might want more from my life if I’m successful.’
- ‘What happens if I become successful and I’m still unhappy?
- ‘It’s too late for me to change my life. I’ve wasted all these years being frustrated.’
- ‘If I get fitter, I might not be able to stop.’
- ‘If I lose weight I may have to take my place in the world and be more successful, attractive, sexy…’
- ‘I can stay safe by playing small.’
- ‘Being fat makes me invisible.’
- ‘I’ve always been the failure in my family.’
- ‘I don't want people to think that I am fixed.’
Resistance to change is similar to the many layers of an onion, and it is a theme you might well return to later. Being willing to take the time to peel back the layers and allowing your resistance to rise to the surface is important work.
Another way of considering this topic is to think about these questions:
- ‘What do I maintain by staying the same?’
- ‘What possible benefits can there be for me from not changing?’
- ‘What am I saying by not fulfilling my potential?’
Initially you might think there cannot possibly be any positive gains from staying as you are, but give yourself time and space to consider this. As always with this work, it is important not to judge phrases, or insights that pop into your mind. This is not about logical thinking. Just tap and breathe. Every time you allow another aspect of your old cruddy stuff to emerge you will be another step further on your way to thinking, and believing, differently about yourself.
Here is your opportunity to explore your resistance to change. Be aware you might be tempted to skip this process all together. That would be just another manifestation of resistance:
Take your time. Breathe. Tap on your collar bone. You can close your eyes if it is appropriate to do so, and allow your mind to drift. You are going to those places in your mind so often drowned out by your busy life so give yourself time to find your quiet core. It is where, so often, the answers are.
Here is an EFT script to follow
The points to tap are shown in the aid memoir and the accompanying instructions. This script focusses on overcoming resistance to being fitter, healthier and slimmer.
EFT set-up for first tapping round
EFT involves a number of ‘rounds’ of tapping the Meridian points, each beginning with a ‘set-up’ phase. For each phase and round a different script is used. For the set-up phase of the first round we recommend, while tapping on one hand with the other:
- ‘Even though I want to be healthy and eat nourishing foods, I don’t want to do this, and you can’t make me and I completely and fully love and accept myself as I am, even though it’s hard for me.’
- ‘Even though I don’t want to do this and I do want to do this and I can’t make me do it, I completely and fully love and accept myself as I am now even though it’s hard for me to accept myself.’
- ‘Even though I don’t want to be fit, lithe and healthy, I do and I don’t and I will and I won’t and NO, NO, NO, NO, NO – you can’t make me – and I deeply and completely love and accept myself without any judgment.’
First round of tapping
Each round should only take about 30-40 seconds. The letters before each statement refer to the Meridian points shown on the diagram you can download below:
- EB: ‘No! You can’t make me be healthy and fit.’
- SE: ‘I just don’t want to.’
- UE: ‘Yes, I do want to be healthy and fit.’
- N: ‘No, I don’t.’
- C: ‘You can’t make me.’
- CB: ‘No! No! No! No! No!’
- RIBS: ‘Please! Don’t make me be healthy and fit.’
- UA: ‘I have to... I just have to...’
- W: ‘I can... I can’t... I will... I won’t... I must... I mustn’t...
- TH: ‘I have to... I just have to...’
Take a breath...
EFT set-up for second tapping round
As before, these are the set up statements prior to the second round of tapping on the Meridian points.
- ‘Even though I am not healthy now, I choose to be healthy and I deeply and completely love and accept myself without any judgment.’
- ‘Even though clearly I am not healthy, I choose to be healthy and I deeply and completely love and accept myself without any judgment.’
- ‘Even though I am confused about good health, I choose to be healthy and I deeply and completely love and accept myself without any judgment.’
Second round of tapping
These are the statements for each meridian point you tap in the second round:
- EB: ‘I say YES to health, today, right now...‘
- SE: ‘No! I say yes to staying the way I am’
- UE: ‘You can’t make me be fit, lithe and healthy.’
- N: ‘You can’t make me change.’
- C: ‘You can’t make me fat.’
- CB: ‘No wonder I’m confused.’
- RIBS: ‘You can’t make me be fat and unhealthy... I choose to be in control’
- UA: ‘You can’t make me do anything and I now choose health and wellbeing.’
- W: ‘I say YES to health and wellbeing.’
- TH: ‘I choose health and wellbeing today.’
Take a breath...
EFT set-up for third tapping round
- ‘Even though I’ve been stuck, I do want to live my dreams and I deeply and completely love and accept myself without any judgment.’
- ‘Even though I’m not taking enough action, I intend to live my dreams and I deeply and completely love and accept myself without any judgment.’
- ‘Even though I’m stuck and it’s all my fault, I choose to live my dreams anyway and I deeply and completely love and accept myself without any judgment.’
Third round of tapping
These are the statements for each Meridian point you tap in the third round:
- EB: ‘No, I don’t, and you can’t make me.’
- SE: ‘I want to live a fulfilling life.’
- UE: ‘No, I want to be miserable and lonely
- N: ‘You can’t make me have joy.’
- C: ‘You can’t stop me from living my dreams.’
- CB: ‘I’ve been so stuck.’
- RIBS: ‘I choose to live my dreams.’
- UA: ‘You can’t make me stay stuck... I choose to be in control.’
- TH: ‘I say YES to life, love, and peace...and to being the biggest and best I can be, today, right now!’
Take a breath...
EFT set-up for fourth tapping round
- ‘Even though I’ve been arguing with myself, I deeply and completely love and accept all of me.’
- ‘Even though I’ve been saying NO to myself, I deeply and completely love and accept all of me.’
- ‘Even though I’ve been focused on being in control rather than being creative and flexible, I deeply and completely love and accept all of me.’
Fourth round of tapping
These are the statements for each meridian point you tap in the fourth round:
- EB: ‘It’s okay to say no.’
- SE: ‘It’s okay to say yes.’
- UE: ‘I’m sick and tired of saying yes and no at the same time.’
- N: ‘I’ve decided to be clear.’
- C: ‘It’s okay to be safe, and say yes.’
- CB: ‘It’s my choice.’
- RIBS: ‘It’s OK for me to say yes.’
- UA: ‘I’m in control.’
- TH: ‘I love feeling safe, free, and in control of what I choose for my life, today, right now.’
Take a deep breath... and another... and now, one more big one...
Now, say to yourself in your best imitation of a three-year-old:
- ‘No! You can’t make me!’
EFT script written by Sally Baker & Liz Hogon (Inspired by a Rick Wilkes EFT script) extract from their book 7 Simple Steps to Stop Emotional Eating.
More about EFT here
History of EFT
The history of EFT is fascinating. Its origins lie in traditional Chinese Medicine, including acupuncture, which has been the primary form of medicine in
China for more than 5000 years. Recent research has confirmed the flow of energy (Qi) along these invisible meridians, or pathways in the body.
Acupuncture was originally developed to treat physical problems, although today practitioners frequently use it also to treat anxiety and stress.
A form of muscle testing
Dr George Goodheart, a chiropractor in the US, developed an interest in acupuncture, and went on to introduce a new method into his practice called ‘Applied Kinesiology’, which is a form of muscle testing. He achieved the same results as acupuncture by tapping on the acupuncture points.
Australian psychiatrist, John Diamond MD, then went on to create another variant of this wherein he had the client tapping on the same points, and repeating positive affirmations to treat any emotional symptoms.
Dr Roger Callahan went further to find that by tapping certain algorithms, or particular pattern, or tapping sequence, his patients were able to release specific anxieties, or phobias, and the first meridian tapping structures were created.
If a client concentrated on a problem, or fear, and tapped at the same time, following a specific pattern, then the issue could be resolved, in some cases permanently. Thought Field Therapy (TFT) was born.
Later it occurred to Gary Craig, who had studied TFT extensively with Callahan, that a single algorithm, or pattern of tapping, might work just as well. Craig went on to develop his own individual single algorithm which he called ‘Emotional Freedom Techniques’ (EFT).
EFT is now the most influential and widely known Energy Psychology method in the world
It has been used successfully in treatments for an incredibly wide variety of issues, including fears, anxieties, phobias and post-traumatic stress disorder, just to mention a few.
EFT has also proved to be very successful as a technique for managing, or reducing the impact, and/or frequency of physical issues, such as migraines, tinitus, IBS, Fibromyalgia, and TN (Trigeminal Neuropathic facial nerve pain, to name but a few examples.
It is an easy enough technique to be mastered by most people, and you don’t have to believe in meridian energy pathways in the body for it to work.
Learn how to work successfully with EFT
To get started you need to turn off your phone and ensure that you have around 30 minutes in which you will not be disturbed. It would be helpful to familiarise yourself with all the ‘tapping points’ you may need to use.
As you become more adept, and learn to trust your own instincts more, you will find you’ll be able to naturally, and intuitively compose your own EFT setups, and find your own words to say as you tap around on each point.
Your own words are always more powerful as they are customised to your own requirements, and then you will really feel how powerful and life changing EFT can be for you.
What is PSTEC Therapy?
PSTEC (Percussive Suggestion Technique) is a technique created to remove or break the negative emotional connection to an uncomfortable memory, or an event.
PSTEC is extensively used to tackle the many aspects, and layers of negative emotion that encourage stress and anxiety.
The audio technique uses pre-recorded rhythmic tracks (‘click tracks’) to which the listener responds by following the instructions and finger tapping in time to the click tracks.
The audio tracks include extensively researched, and accepted psychological approaches to help make the changes you desire. The basic tracks can be downloaded free from the link shown below but there are also dedicated click tracks designed to turbo charge your results and build on the effects of the free click tracks. These optional click tracks can be purchased for a small fee.
The PSTEC ‘click tracks’ are designed for dealing with negative feelings in response to uncomfortable memories, or events from the past. They are also effective with events that have only been imagined. PSTEC works wonderfully to clear limiting beliefs and old patterns of behaviour and thinking that keep you stuck.
Here is an example of how to use the free PSTEC click tracks with the belief ‘My friends won’t like me if I’m successful.’ To deal with this limiting belief we recommend the following the instructions given as part of the audio for the click tracks.
Focus on the earliest memory you have of a negative emotion you want to clear – in this case my friends won’t like me if I’m successful – keep focused on that memory and the feelings attached to it while listening to the free PSTEC free click tracks.
Essentially, you want to eliminate the negative feeling of this so that it can no longer affect you or influence your behaviour.
* To do this, imagine your friends rejecting you and try to really feel the negative emotion whilst listening to the free PSTEC click tracks.
More about PSTEC Therapy here
PSTEC was invented and developed in the UK by Tim Phizackerley. Tim is primarily a Hypnotherapist, and probably uniquely has a background in IT, working as he did specifically in the field of artificial intelligence.
He was conscious of the fact that the human mind is the product of evolutionary processes and, at its heart lies an organic computer.
And the one thing which absolutely all computers have in common is that they run programs.
As Tim delved deeper into the mechanisms underlying hypnosis he recognised certain things about the interaction between the conscious and the subconscious mind that he believed could open the door to literally reprogramming the subconscious human ‘computer’ in new and innovative ways.
In his my work with clients he has been very systematic in finding solutions that work as efficiently as possible. He found that to do this one needed to have as good an understanding as possible of the ways in which people form concepts and process information.
The upshot of his unique focus has been that over many years of work he has developed a sophisticated model of the human mind and also the ways in which it processes and relates to this information.
Tim began applying what he knew about artificial intelligence and computer programming with working with clients to resolve their presenting issues.
The basic PSTEC system is a unique 11-minute interactive audio track which can be played to anyone to create a resolution for almost any problem related to unwanted emotions or feelings.
Whilst that may sound unlikely, PSTEC has been described as being possibly the fastest and most efficient way to neutralise problem emotions ever created.
In just the same way that Gary Craig, who developed EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) said Try it on Everything! PSTEC can be used successfully for a wide variety of applications from anxiety issues, phobias, through to weight loss work. In essence, it can be used on any emotional problem you want to be released from.
Following is a short list of some of the presenting issues that can be successfully treated with PSTEC
- Relationship issues
- Anger and resentment
- Unresolved grief
- Post Traumatic Stress
- Panic attacks
- Consequences of abuse
- Behavioural Addictions
- Self Hatred
- Low self-esteem
- Jealousy and guilt
- Eating disorders including Anorexia and Bulimia
- Work or health-related anxieties
- and many more
Sally Baker has trained face to face several times with Tim Phizackerly and is highly experienced working with clients to maximise the transformational power of this amazing therapy approach.
What is Hypnosis?
Hypnotherapy is a wonderful way of using hypnosis techniques to resolve a whole range of issues and problems, including stress, phobias, pain and anxiety.
Hypnosis as such doesn’t achieve anything of itself: it’s what happens when you go into that wonderful, relaxed state that creates the amazing results. It is an incredibly relaxing experience with no side effects, or after effects.
With hypnotism you cannot be made to do anything against your will, or your moral and ethical standards. It is merely a natural phenomenon that you experience many times during your day - for example, when watching a television programme or reading a good book we all naturally drift in and out of awareness.
Hypnosis results in a wonderfully relaxed state, but you are always in total control. It is not sleep, although if you’re listening to the hypnosis recordings when you’re tired you may well drop off to sleep.
Think about the changes you want to make. You’ve probably succeeded for a while in changing habits, for instance, but old behaviours eventually come back. This is because you have not addressed the underlying patterns that were causing your behaviour in the first place.
In hypnosis you can easily let those patterns go and replace them with powerful, beneficial suggestions that fully support the new life you aspire to.
What is hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy is the therapeutic application of hypnosis as a wonderful tool to support beneficial change. It is used in many situations including stress relief, pain management including childbirth and resolving phobias and anxiety. Hypnosis as such doesn't actually achieve anything: it's what happens when the hypnotherapist puts you in that wonderful, relaxed state that creates the amazing results. It is an incredibly relaxing experience with no side effects or after effects.
Think about your weight loss goals. You've probably succeeded in losing weight for a while but the old behaviours eventually come back, don't they? This is because you haven't sorted the underlying patterns that are causing you to behave this way.
In hypnosis we are able to help you to easily let those self-sabotaging patterns of behaviour go, and support your successful weight loss with new positive ways of thinking and feeling about yourself.
Hypnotherapy is the third key therapeutic tool we use with our clients in face to face sessions. For this book we have specially recorded three powerful hypnosis sequences that you can download via your computer as MP3s. We recommend you listen to one every day while you are focussing on losing weight.
What must I do before listening to the hypnosis audio tracks?
Find a quiet place where you are able to relax without interruption. All the audio tracks are less than 20 minutes long. If possible, turn off the telephone, dim the lights or draw the curtains.
Are there some people who can’t be hypnotised?
No. It’s a natural process. Anyone who can follow simple instructions can be hypnotised.
What if I go to sleep?
It’s fine. If you do doze off while listening to the hypnotherapy audio tracks, the positive suggestions will still go deeply into your subconscious mind and changes can take place. Equally, if you are unexpectedly required to return to full awareness while listening to the audio tracks, you will be alert and feel fully awake, without any grogginess.
What will it feel like?
There is no such thing as a hypnotised feeling. In hypnosis, you will feel exactly the same as you would if you were engrossed in a book or absorbed in an interesting movie. It is simply a very relaxed feeling that most people truly enjoy, and sometimes wish they didn’t have to leave behind.
Will I lose control listening to these audios?
No. You are always completely in control of your body, and thoughts. Hypnosis is absolutely safe and has been used for a long time by dentists, doctors and psychotherapists. It is a proven therapeutic aid.
How does hypnosis help with making changes in how I think and feel about myself?
When you are in a lovely relaxed state, your mind is much more receptive to positive suggestions. It then goes on to make the desired changes that you are seeking. When you’re listening to hypnosis recordings it helps to use the power of your imagination to supercharge all the beneficial affects.
There are a selection of specially recorded hypnosis tracks available to purchase for immediate download here on this website: